The Russians and the Americans successfully tested un-manned Moon missions in the early Sixties. After almost 50 years India has done it. Yes the first Un-manned Moon mission,"Chandrayaan-1" was a success.
1) To design,develop and launch a spacecraft in lunar polar orbit using an Indian Launch Vehicle
2) Higher image resolution of lunar terrain along with Chemical and mineral mapping. (Hope they do not find urine samples there)
3) To enhance India's image in the Global scene by being a part of the select group which has the capability to observe planets/satellites directly.
What did Chandrayaan Carry?1) Terrain mapper (To map the outer surface of the moon)
2) Mineral mapper ( TO map and sense for any new minerals)
3) Topography Mapper
4) Volatile object Mapper (To find if there are any volatile objects in the moon)
5) Moon Impactprobe (To find places in moon where a soft landing can be done)
3)Radiation monitor from Belgium ( For the study of solar particles in moon)
4)SARA from Sweden/Japan/India (Imaging of the moon's surface to measure moon's flux)
5) XRay Spetrometer from UK. ( Finding the abundance of various chemicals)
6)IR spectrimeter from Germany (To study lunar mineralogy)