If putting you in your place is an art, my mom is a Picasso in it. If you are reading this, you might be able to relate with this post.
1. My mom always bought me clothes with a futuristic thought. When I was eight years old, she would buy me clothes that I was supposed to wear when I turned ten. Her common logic would be " You will grow soon and the shirt will become small in no time". If I still argue with her, she would quickly throw the googly " The clothes will shrink after the first two wash. Hence we should buy bigger size clothes".
2) To avoid this trouble with ready made clothes, I started prefering custom made shirts from a tailor near my house. My mom would accompany me to the tailor shop. When he takes measurement, she would say " Keep an extra inch. He will put on weight".
My mom's dream of me putting on weight and growing up in stature, never came true. I still look like a college kid.3) When she feels that the weather is cold, she would make me wear the sweater. I hated the month of December. I would be wearing a sweater all the time.
4) She had a knack of counselling others and empathising with them. When her friends come to her asking for parenting advice, she gives them the best advice.
Rani aunty (Name changed): My 7 year old son still wets the bed. What should I do?5) When I was in college, I used to take my friends to my house. On one ocassion, my mom was showing them my childhood album
My mom: Don't worry. Give him less water to drink before he sleeps. My son Prason used to wet the bed even when he was in class 6
Reena: Aunty who is this boy in his underwear?
My mom: That is Prason! At least in this picture, he is wearing an underwear. He would always run around the house like Archimedes when he was a kid.
|A picture with my mom taken when I was 23 years old.|
Some of the common words that she used to utter when I was a kid are flashing across my mind now
- Prason! How many times have I told you not to enter the house with your mud feet after playing in the ground. Go wash your legs
- PRASON! It is 7 am! Get out of your bed! NOW
- Prason! Go flush the toilet
- Prason! Did you eat the IDLIS. or did you flush them down the toilet?
- Prason! Did you pee on the bathroom floor? You should pee only in the toilet and not in the shower.
- Prason! Did you eat the Dairy Milk bar from the fridge?
- Prason! Did you put a wet spoon inside the Boost bottle?
I can go on and on with this. But I am stopping it right here. What are the darndest things, your mom has said?